Baatorian's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New characters

5 posters

Go down

New characters Empty New characters

Post by Tromador 15th November 2010, 10:59 pm

Rather than repeat myself (and I notice John is posting the same shit in two threads as well), here's a general topic, for comments on the two new characters. That I'm opening this topic up is a bit of a worry, as it means the two proposed PCs have many similarities which are best addressed in one thread.

Firstly - Classes.

I realise this is heading into the realms of someone getting disappointed, but I really think that two LG armoured knights is at least one LG armoured knight too many.

Also, a sudden influx of Lawful Goodness into a Chaotic Neutral party is interesting at best, a disaster at worst - we've had campaigns where the party doesn't get along before and they have generally had very unsatisfactory ends.

Given we have pretty much of an archetype group:

Fighter - Korr (Barbarian)
Cleric - Elvanshalee (Cleric)
Mage - Velenur (Sorcerer)
Thief - Tza'rok (Rogue/Wizard)
(and a part time bard/fighter!)

I accept it's hard to make a character which doesn't step on someone's toes somewhere, but do try to find a niche or role so that the existing characters aren't suddenly living in someone's shadow and so that equally, your new character isn't eclipsed by a character already in the group.

Secondly - Power levels.

Please try to keep the new characters in line, power-wise with the existing PCs. It will be no fun for anyone if a pair of new dudes rock up and make the rest of the party look gimp.

Our games really aren't about making the best possible PC and then putting them up against the biggest monsters we can think of. By and large we ignore the whole challenge rating business and just put together encounters that feel right. If one or two party members shine above the others, it becomes increasingly difficult for the DMs to make an interesting encounter.

Finally - Group

All said, welcome to the group and I'm looking forward to having you playing with us, when the new PCs are sorted. Meantime, please can you forward your email addresses to me ( tromador at tromador dot com ) so I can include you in our emails which we tend to use for arranging session times and so on.
Tromador
Tromador
Burnination in my Pantination

Back to top Go down

New characters Empty Re: New characters

Post by illumination 15th November 2010, 11:01 pm

Fair play, this makes sense.

*moved from session log post*

Log: http://mike_c.f-m.fm/Log%20-2010-11-14.html

This may be the wrong place but ill add my thoughts about the session from my perspective here.

Both can spell and RP, bonus! the rules seem familiar to both, although Rob is obviously more down with em.

There were too many periods of inactivity from Rob, but the reason for that is fair enough in that he was involved in some bizarre sounding game that was booked well before I rocked up on Sunday night and said id do something. But, that wouldnt work in one of our proper sessions so something for Rob to be aware of.

The RP was quite amusing to me, even if the interactions between the two knights were a bit initially bizarre. Both seem to indeed be LG, but didnt come across as to be nearly the kind of zealots that they may have looked by the background on the forums. Both managed to work around the demons in their midst and didnt find themselves in the cooler for the night, or worse which is positive.

The fight was slow, mostly on my account really has I hadnt organised myself properly before hand as I usually would. I deliberately used monsters which should provide little danger but get us a fight that lasts at least a couple of rounds so we could see how they go. As it happens they werent all that far from getting into serious trouble with all the fort saves to avoid paralysis and probable death but in terms of HP damage they didnt get that much from the Ghasts CR 5?.

Orisson was very hard to hit even with no magic items and AC24, but he caught a few and seems to do not a lot of damage.

Drago was the opposite, much easier to hit and churning out fairly big damage although less than Korr does.

So, long story short there are a few things to work on and rules/classes/feats to decide upon but overall I was fairly happy with it.

What adding X2 LG human knights does to this party though is anyones guess, but I have one of the more 'evil' characters and think I could work with it as they dont seem too nuts about it all, just solid LG types into being heroic etc.
illumination
illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 15th November 2010, 11:38 pm

Fair play - consider my judgement reserved and I'll check the log before commenting again.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 16th November 2010, 1:26 am

Well, I've read the log now and actually in terms of balance looks a lot better than I initially thought.

I've one issue with Orison, which I've mentioned in his thread, but otherwise, we can probably just run with it and see how it goes.

Clearly with a couple more big fighters in the group I need to rethink a bit on chapter 2 of the Githyanki invasion of Merresentia so I apologise in advance that next session might be a bit delayed, but hopefully it will be fun when I get it sorted.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination 16th November 2010, 3:05 am

Availability may be a factor if we dont manage anything this week, im off to the US of A on friday for 10days. I expect to miss some shit naturally but maybe easier for all if I see the end of whatever this is out.
illumination
illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 16th November 2010, 5:09 am

Not sure what you mean, Mike. Chapter 2 of my stuff is going to be 2-4 sessions depending on session length. It's at least as long as the now concluded chapter 1. Basically even if we get a session this week there is zero chance of you're being present throughout.

That said I could probably easily extend it out into 3 sections (you've done 1) and whilst you'll miss chapter 2, I can bring you back in for chapter 3 (or the end of 2) easily enough.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination 16th November 2010, 5:41 am

Sounds good.
illumination
illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 17th November 2010, 2:54 am

I think this is being assumed, but for clarity:

As Iain is playing his bard, I've no longer got a problem with having the two tincans.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkAstartes 17th November 2010, 2:59 am

Debonnair seems to have his equipment sorted, was it decided how much gold we have to spend on starting gear?
DarkAstartes
DarkAstartes
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 17th November 2010, 3:16 am

Think in terms of 10K (roughly). All subject to approval.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper640 18th November 2010, 5:20 am

so in terms of classes what would the be the best thing to pick? i have a natural affintiy for spellcasting but i must i can play a rouge or something else. i was going to make a sorc but i could go with a wiz if that works better. and what is this psyonics deal i have seen, is that a class too?
Viper640
Viper640
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth 18th November 2010, 6:30 am

Instead of deleting. I'm not moving this to Random Waffle to clean up our Character Forum a little.

Hope that isn't an issue.
^^Truth
^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

http://baatorian.ripz.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 18th November 2010, 6:43 am

How dare you sir!

I can assure you I will be writing to the Forums Official Association (F. Off. Ass.) to bring strong complaint.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth 18th November 2010, 6:46 am

Naturally sir.

Once I receive the letter addressed to myself, I shall review it with the other members (me, me and me) and we shall all determine if you have a legitimate legal case against me.

Yours sincerely

- Baat
^^Truth
^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

http://baatorian.ripz.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper640 18th November 2010, 12:50 pm

and the answer to my questions is?
Viper640
Viper640
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 18th November 2010, 10:25 pm

Viper:

You are pushy and demanding to the point of rudeness. This isn't a public gaming service where you can rock up and start insisting on attention. It has already been explained that at present we don't have room for more players, so your questions are irrelevant.

You place posts in all kinds of threads where they are inappropriate, again this is part of your attention seeking behaviour.

You explode in furious anger over constructive criticism only to back down when you suddenly realise you're burning your bridges.

So - I cannot imagine you will be ever welcome in this group. Not because of your inexperience, but because of your bad attitude, your demanding nature and your short temper.

Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper640 19th November 2010, 1:59 am

i will come back, when you are ready. thank you for your help and generosity. sorry, for intruding when you are so busy.
Viper640
Viper640
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum