Baatorian's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir William Orison

5 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sir William Orison - Page 2 Empty Re: Sir William Orison

Post by Tromador 16th November 2010, 9:12 am

What is 'called' full plate, anyway?

Tromador
Burnination in my Pantination

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbonair 16th November 2010, 9:13 am

Did I put +2 by mistake? Should only be a +1 ring which is only 2k... oh and forgot the called ability, have to look up price on that. It just lets you call the armor as a standard action as long as it is not in someone else's possession. Great for waking up in the middle of the night to a fight and getting armored instantly, but not for much else.

I'm pretty sure test of metal -indeed all the knight's abilities- is extraordinary, I'll check on that too.
Debbonair
Debbonair
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth 16th November 2010, 9:18 am

Please do check Robert.

I fail to see how, without a magical ability, you could make a group of ogres, for example, spontaneously attack you, without speaking their language, unless it's a magical ability.

I guess posturing? But then it's line of sight, so if they're not looking at you, it won't effect them and so on.

Hopefully you're understanding by now that we're a RPing group Very Happy

Right. Called. Like the old school armour/swords. I forget their name. Very useful. That's +3,000 GP, but the Ring of Protection reduction removes 6K, so you're good for now.

^^Truth
^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

http://baatorian.ripz.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbonair 16th November 2010, 9:28 am

Checked.

Called ability is on pg 9 of the MIC and adds 2k to the value.

All knight abilities are indeed extraordinary. They are not language-dependent, but do require line of sight.
Debbonair
Debbonair
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination 16th November 2010, 9:34 am

As a DM ill reserve the right to call this taunting business as I see it at the time then, probably like Iain described. Just so its on the record now, you have the opportunity to change to to something else if you want.

Just be aware that we tend to play a gritty no-nonsense kind of game so the kinds of scenarios where smashing up 13 enemies who are bundling in is unlikely to happen with us.

As would using that ability in the wrong situation, there will be times where using it would be suicide, we are entering the mid levels of a outer planes campaign...
illumination
illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbonair 16th November 2010, 10:06 am

So as I understand it, everything's good then? sounds like stats, feats, abilities, and equipment has all been oked. with test of mettle being called on a case-by-case basis.

as to when to use it, lol, it's nearly always the first thing he does. were I to do otherwise would be improper RP based on his beliefs and code. Not the standard knight's code in the book, but the old arthurian-type code that he personally upholds. And if it does get him killed, I'll be a bit sad but fine. The one thing any knight desires to end his career is an honorable and valiant death in pursuit of a worthy cause. (quite frankly, I'm surprised he survived the 13v1)

Robert
Debbonair
Debbonair
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 16th November 2010, 10:11 am

Yeah, um... ok. This taunting thing. I'm going to call it as I see it at the time, same as Iain and Mike. I'm really not wanting to roll a ton of will saves either. Try to avoid doing it when attacking the Council for Evil Wizards Who Like Magic Missile spell.

Does it have a range on it, this ability, does it affect all enemies indiscriminately?

Oddly it seems I don't have access to Magic Items Compendium. Do you have it in PDF form by any chance?

Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbonair 16th November 2010, 10:17 am

Yes it's line of sight within 100ft. and yes it affects all enemies who meet the criteria of int>5 and CR>(lvl-2). it also can affect each individual only once per 24hrs and expires after 5+cha rnds. (8 for Orison)

Yes, I do have the MIC in PDF. Is there somewhere you'd like me to upload it?
Debbonair
Debbonair
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth 16th November 2010, 10:26 am

Your AC is still 28, that's too high. Tone is down a few notches mate.
^^Truth
^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

http://baatorian.ripz.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination 17th November 2010, 12:26 am

As far as I understood it its down to Trom what magic items Sir O starts with, whats on the sheet at the moment can be disregarded which counts for +4 or so. AC 24 wouldnt upset the applecart.
illumination
illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 17th November 2010, 2:51 am

And I've had a think about it and this is what I'm saying.

You can have the +1 full plate, but without the 'called' ability.
You can have the +1 ROP.
No magic shield, though a standard MW shield is fine.

If you want to specify some different (not AC!) items to similar value in their place, then please put them up for approval.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnBoy 17th November 2010, 11:12 am

Have to agree. 28 AC is way to high. The kind of attacks that are needed to go through that AC would destroy my character. We now have a bard in the group, along with my character who can cast some pretty sweet defensive spells on people so running a stupid;y high AC isn't really needed tbh. Could have easily made my character much much better but where's the fun in that? Downscale a bit to fit in more with the group and you'll have a better time. What's the point in never taking damage? Makes it a bit of a boring fight if you ask me.
JohnBoy
JohnBoy
ZzZzap! Spaceman!
ZzZzap! Spaceman!

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination 17th November 2010, 11:59 pm

Sounds to me like its 'Approved'

Welcome to the gang Rob.
illumination
illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbonair 18th November 2010, 1:16 pm

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, the last two days have been rather hectic, lol. Was able to get on a bit earlier today to check my emails, so I responded to the scheduling one but wasn't able to do much else at the time.

Anyways, to respond to the posts since my last one...

Tromador, while that's all well and good, it does introduce a continuity problem. As I said before, the ring and armor were battle loot and as such are easily changeable. The shield, on the other hand, is the original shield he got from his lord in his backstory and he paid the cleric (who had craft magic arms & armor) to enchant it, so for the sake of continuity, it would be much preferable to keep the shield as-is and go with MW armor and no ring (which would have the same net effect) rather than the way you suggest, though if you're adamant about it, I suppose I can deal with the discrepancy.

I didn't see you say if you wanted me to upload the MIC anywhere.

hmm other non-ac items totaling either 7k (for the way you suggest), or 6k (for the way I put it above)... rather difficult cause, they would have to be either worn items or something he'd carry in his belt pouch so as to fit in with the story. Let me consider...

John, Like I said a few posts up, he usually takes plenty of damage just from the lucky crit threats, check out the log for our little intro session the other day, 3 crit threats from just two enemies. Enemies typically get to make lots of attacks against him because a) he focuses their attention on only himself. and b) he has so little offensive power that it takes him many rounds to fell even one. Plus that fact that he's so much fun for me to play, rather excludes any boredom, lol.

Thanks Illumination Smile

Robert
Debbonair
Debbonair
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnBoy 18th November 2010, 6:32 pm

I read the log. Just how often do you expect to be critted with an AC like that? natural 20 aside of course. Anyways.. no biggie. general concensis is a thumbs up so welcome aboard and look forward to playing with you.
JohnBoy
JohnBoy
ZzZzap! Spaceman!
ZzZzap! Spaceman!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 18th November 2010, 10:10 pm

Keep the shield and have MW armour and no ring. Either way suits.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 19th November 2010, 12:45 am

Robert - to note:

Don't forget the Knight's Code, particularly with regard to flanking, flat-footed opponents and helpless foes.

Unless a foe is obviously armed and/or dangerous, it's probably best to assume they are helpless until proven otherwise, rather than make the mistake of breaking the Code.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbonair 19th November 2010, 4:58 am

Thanks John.

Yes, I always have the knight's code in mind and Orison has never broken it. In addition to that, he has his personal code of Arthurian theme.
And thanks for agreeing with the shield.

So I gave a lot of thought to other items witch turned out to be surprisingly difficult since any potential item had to meet three qualifications: first being not overpowered, second being something he would have reason to have, and third being something that he would actually have either worn, or carried in his belt pouch since he does not have a backpack instead carrying his gear in his saddlebags...

So this is what I came up with:
1) healing belt- MIC pg 110, 750gp, 3/day cure 2d8 with touch. This would be an item he would likely have so that he has a means of healing others should an enemy slip past him to attack his allies.

2) Spellsink Scarab- MIC pg 138, 2000gp, 3/day reduce magic damage by 2d6. This could be an item I could easily see him accepting as loot as he has fought against many spellcasters.

3) Sacred Scabbard- CW pg 136, 4400gp, keep weapon clean & sharp, 3/day cast bless weapon on weapon. Another item it makes perfect sense for him to possess. Since he refuses to let his sword be permanently changed, having an item that is able to empower the sword with Heiroeous' might on a temporary basis to engage those enemies who are resistant or immune to ordinary weapons is almost essential. (kinda wonder why he did not already have it, lol)

Robert
Debbonair
Debbonair
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnBoy 19th November 2010, 5:27 am

Again with those pieces of loot / items, it seems to me you're trying to build him as sme sort of uber character. someone who can take stupid amounts of punishment. Not to a tanking point but more to a OP "no-one will ever kill me" point.

Maybe it's just me that sees it that way, i don't know. *shrugs*

Anyways... you think the spell casters are going to attack you if they have a choice? If they were smart they'd take out the stronger members of the party (Elvanshalee's healing has saved our asses many times and Velenur for his pure destructive ability when he gets to use it.) before the meat shield. I

know i would.
JohnBoy
JohnBoy
ZzZzap! Spaceman!
ZzZzap! Spaceman!

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnBoy 19th November 2010, 5:31 am

JohnBoy wrote:Again with those pieces of loot / items, it seems to me you're trying to build him as sme sort of uber character. someone who can take stupid amounts of punishment. Not to a tanking point but more to a OP "no-one will ever kill me" point.

Maybe it's just me that sees it that way, i don't know. *shrugs*

Anyways... you think the spell casters are going to attack you if they have a choice? If they were smart they'd take out the stronger members of the party (Elvanshalee's healing has saved our asses many times and Velenur for his pure destructive ability when he gets to use it.) before the meat shield.
I know i would.

*edit* Apon reading some of the stuff 've been typing it may seem liek i'm being an asshole or whatever but i'm not trying to be. I'm just stating the way i'm viewing stuff and if you don't agree with anything i say, by all means tell me. We're here to talk about this shit, not put it away somewhere then tell people randomly their PC is shit or whatever. Everything i say is intended to be helpful / informative / taken with a pinch of salt (delete as appropriate) so please don't think i'm chowing you out for whatever reason.
JohnBoy
JohnBoy
ZzZzap! Spaceman!
ZzZzap! Spaceman!

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbonair 19th November 2010, 5:46 am

LOL, it did kind of come across that way so I'm glad you clarified.

Hmm, that's about as far from my intention as it's possible to get. If my intention were to make an uber nearly unkillable char, there are much better items for that route. I said the criteria that I was considering, and there's surprisingly few items that fit. It would be considerably easier if he had his horse and saddlebags with him!

If anyone has any alternate suggestions, feel free to put them forth. I checked the DMG, MIC, CW, CC, and PHB2... not sure where else I might find other options, maybe A&E....

Robert
Debbonair
Debbonair
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnBoy 19th November 2010, 5:57 am

well one thing to consider is NOT buying anything else and saving your money for a bit, letting it mount up and buying even better stuff at a later point. You don't have to buy everything straight off plus some nice shit may drop from a campaign that you can use. We're not a loot greedy bunch of players who claim everything for our own. For example, i have only bought things since my PC was rolled. A bag of holding for my Famliar to live in, more or less for RP only at a huge cost considering how useless it is otherwise. A crossbow which i never use anymore, a mace which hardly ever gets used and a staff for my PC's rp image so it's not essential that you buy all this gear for your pc. I have no problems with you buying stuff for him, but is it really needed at this point.
JohnBoy
JohnBoy
ZzZzap! Spaceman!
ZzZzap! Spaceman!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 19th November 2010, 6:22 am

Actually, I have no real problem with those items. Considering the amount of cash Tza has spent guzzling healing potions down, a x/day healing item seems sensible. Bless weapon is absolutely fine, only affecting evil creatures.

The only restriction I am placing is on the spellsink scarab. If you wish to use it, you must declare before any damage dice are rolled. That said, I would also expect a DM to be lenient if they type the attack and damage before you can scream "Protect!"

I did send a PM with FTP details for MIC, but it's ok, I've got it now anyway. I see those charges/day can be burned 1, 2 or 3 at a time for different levels of effect, that's fine.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbonair 19th November 2010, 7:24 am

John, nice suggestion, but one critical flaw. gold is heavy, any substantial amount would be in his saddlebags. Plus as a said before, he don't typically accept a full share of loot anyway.

Since you approve, Trom, I'll make the nessessary changes on the first post and his char node and consider him finalized.

Robert
Debbonair
Debbonair
Fweeble
Fweeble

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination 26th January 2011, 7:10 am

better possible character pictures??? not really feeling the animie one. Smile

Sir William Orison - Page 2 Untitled-153

Sir William Orison - Page 2 270px-Knight,_Tome_resized

illumination